Wednesday, June 27, 2012

Grand.


I am back. It's strange how much you forget about yourself and the things you thought you had memorized, had eternalized and forever burned into your retinas. I never thought it would be so easy. It made me sad.

The past ten days were insane. I traveled through six different states, met new people, re-met past people, listened to countless cd's, and fell in love with the world all over again.
The first night was Las Vegas, which honestly, sort of broke my heart. Underneath all of the lights and faux glamour there's a desperation and hopelessness, the city of sin. I don't think I would mind if I never returned. The next day few days it was the Grand Canyon, which was so breathtaking and heartstopping and incredible and unfathomable it hurt to look at. It's still hard to believe that our earth created that on it's own, something so vast and powerful and grand.
After a few days at the Grand Canyon, we drove to Durango, Colorado; I fell in love. I may have to live there at some point in my life. The land and the aspen and the colours and the water, it was so intensely beautiful it's hard to describe. We went river rafting and dry-sledding that first day, and that was exhilarating. A few of our extended family members, those who we have not seen for over ten years joined us there and that was amazing in itself. I miss them now. The next day we went to Mesa Verde, which was bloody hot, over one hundred and five degrees, but still it was worth it. Hundreds of years ago, small populations of natives built a city that still stands now, unchanged. Incredible. It was melancholic to leave that place, but I know that I will be there again at some point; I cannot go my entire life without seeing those hills and waters and trees once more.
The last place we went was Zion in Utah. Nearly every place we went this trip was beautiful, and this place was no exception. The rock, so red and proud and uncaring and massive. It was a bit hard to take in. We went on various hikes, waded through rivers, swam, took naps in the stifling heat. They were good last days.
Then, yesterday, we drove home, over fifteen hours and through five states to our little tiny hometown in gorgeous California. I didn't realize how much I had missed the clouds and the fog until I realized I was cold, and not blazing hot like I had been for the past ten days. We took an insane two hour detour to buy illegal fireworks, which was an adventure in itself, went through Death Valley, drove through nowhere, and finally, finally made it home.
It's so good to be back. My bed is so warm, my house so lovely, my cat so soft and aloof. It was an amazing trip, for sure, and I have over one thousand pictures to show for it, but I do love coming home. And I can't wait to see and hear all that I have missed.

Love,
xx
{emma}

No comments:

Post a Comment